So in case you haven't noticed, my mum's name is Julie! I got the inspiration to make this hanger for her whilst making my wedding hangers (see post here), as she cooed over them and said how lovely they were.
I decided to keep her wooden hanger natural instead of painting it like the wedding ones as it'll match better with whatever she chooses to hang on it. I also opted for lavender as the flower accent as it's her favourite!
To make this hanger you will need:
- 1 x wooden hanger
- Jewellery wire or florist wire that is easy to manipulate
- Silk/ faux flower or whatever decoration you think your mama will like!
- Jewellery Pliers
- Wire Cutters
- Hot glue gun
1. Sketch out your mum's name onto paper, with enough space each side to anticipate how much wire you will require to fit it to the hanger.
2. Bend your wire to fit the letters you have drawn on the paper. You may need pliers also to make tight bends or create letters e.g. the letter i.
3. Snip the end of your wire, leaving a small excess and measure against the hanger. Leave a small amount of wire each side to slot into the hanger.
4. Next make two small holes in the hanger where the wire will slot into place. A drill is really handy at this point but I unfortunately didn't have one so opted to use a cork screw! I wouldn't recommend this but it's a good back up..ha!
5. Slot the wire into the holes made, snipping any excess wire as required. Hot glue gun into place.
6. Next take your faux flower or decoration of choice and attach onto the wire with the hot glue gun.
And voilà, you're finished!
So I hope you guys like this DIY. I think my mum was hinting at me to make her one as she said it'd be lovely to have a nice hanger to put pretty outfits on the day before a special occasion and hang over the door. I know exactly what she means! I do that too!
If you're making any homemade gifts for your mama, please link me to your post or tweet me a pic, I'd love to see!